First of all, let us look at the reasons we might be eating for emotional reasons:
- Stress (Money, Family, Work, Love, Marriage, Kids, Friends etc.,)
- Feeling sad or down
- Boredom (Not having an excitement or joy in life)
- Being alone, lonely (Broken Relationship)
- Low self esteem
- Feeling lot of anger or resentment
- Know your trigger points. Before eating know, if you are really hungry or feeling one of the above reasons causing you to eat.
- Drink water first. Some times we are thirsty and we mistake it for hunger instead. Drinking water will make you full, hydrated and not gain you any inches or pound.
- Keep Journal: Keeping a food diary or journal can help you identify what is bugging you and why do you eat those times, helping with process of not eating during those times.
- Do something else: Find an alternative activities when you feel down, sad or angry instead of eating. Call up a good friend, listen to jokes, or watch some funny videos, read your favorite book etc.,
- Get your ZZZs: I used to not sleep well and get all junk food during night time, watching all these late night informercials. Now, I try to get my 8 hours of sleep and nap if I can and it has helped me and my energy levels tremendously.
- Walk it off: Whenever you feel emotional hunger showing up, walk it off. Go for jogging in a park or jump on treadmill instead.
- Eat Healthy stuff: If you must eat, eat healthier stuff such as apple or banana or protein bars.
- Forgive yourself: By chance you made a mistake and binged on fatty and sugary comfort food, forgive your self and try to correct your next time instead of beating your self up.